Privacy statement for online purchases
Mater Education Limited—Privacy Statement for Online Purchases
Mater Education Limited (Mater Education) is an entity within the meaning of the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth) and the 2014 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). These regulate how organisations collect, use, keep, secure, disclose and dispose of personal information. Mater Education is bound by the Act and APPs.
The APPs ensure that organisations holding information about people handle that information responsibly. Mater Education takes its obligations to protect privacy very seriously. This policy statement has been prepared to help us comply with our privacy obligations and inform you of your privacy rights.
2. Privacy Compliance
Our policy is to comply in all respects with our privacy obligations. This policy is binding on Mater Education as an organisation as well as our staff.
3. Collection of personal information
Mater Education collects personal information about you and your interactions with us (e.g. when you register for a course or acquire a new product or service). The types of personal information collected and held by Mater Education will vary depending on your dealings with us, and may include any or all of the following:
- name, address(es), telephone number(s) and other contact details
- associated company name(s), position, occupation and other business details
- electronic address(es)
- transaction details relating to your use of our products, services or benefits.
1. Mater Education collects and uses personal information only where it’s necessary for one or more of our functions or activities. (The nature of the activity will determine the type and extent of information collected.)
2. When processing your order or registrations we collect personal information about you primarily to give you a high level of customer service. We may also use this information to inform you about other related services.
3. We will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means—never in an unreasonably intrusive way.
4. Where personal information is collected for a specific purpose, it will not be disclosed to others unless:
the individual involved provides consent
the disclosure is required by or under an Australian law or court.
5. Personal information will only be transferred outside Australia if:
the individual consents
such disclosure is in accordance with one or more of Mater Education activities to which the individual already participates.
6. When collecting information considered sensitive under the Privacy Act, it will be collected only from the person concerned with his or her consent.
7. Mater Education will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect, store, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date.
8. In accordance with this Policy and the Privacy Principles, Mater Education will take reasonable steps to protect personal information from:
- misuse and loss
- unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
4. Use of personal information
Mater Education will use personal information provided for:
1. Providing you with products and services you have ordered, or contacting you about these orders
2. Answering direct enquiries
3. Billing and account management
4. Informing you of new products that may interest you
5. Providing customer service
6. Complying with legal obligations where necessary
7. Allowing us to run our business by performing administrative and operational tasks such as:
developing and marketing products and services
systems development and testing, including our websites and other online channels
undertaking planning, research and statistical analysis.
5. Direct Marketing
Unless you tell us otherwise, we may use this information to bring you products and services we believe will benefit you and your business. The first time you receive a new product or service you will be given the option to immediately opt out of receiving future offerings of the item in question.
Unless otherwise provided in this Privacy Statement, and in accordance with the Privacy Act and APPs, Mater Education retains the right to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes where:
1. you have provided consent to do so
2. it is within your Reasonable Expectations.
In each direct Mater Education marketing communication, we will include:
- a statement on the relevant piece of marketing material notifying you of your right to opt out of receiving further direct marketing communications
- a simple means for you to opt out of receiving further direct marketing communications of that kind.
Should you choose to opt out, we will immediately stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes. To opt out, please contact the Privacy Manager as set out below.
6. Requests for access to and correction of your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information. You may request copies of the personal information we hold about you by:
- writing to us
- contacting the Mater Education Privacy Manager during business hours.
Level 4, Duncombe Building
South Brisbane QLD 4101
Phone: +61 7 3163 1500
If you know our personal information about you is out of date, incomplete or inaccurate, please let us know so we can correct it. We will never refuse to make a correction without giving you our reasons.
7. Online Payments & Third-Party Services
Our website is hosted with i4solutions, and our online payment facility is hosted by MIGS – Mastercard Internet Gateway Service. This allows us to take payments for your course fees and other services/products online using a debit/credit card.
MIGS will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary for them to perform the services they provide to us.
Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction, after which the information is deleted. Personal data related to your credit card is never stored on our website or any other third-party service providers.
Mater Education and all direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council.
This Privacy Statement will be subject to regular review and updated as required.