Mater Education wants everyone enrolled into the program to have every opportunity to succeed at their study. Our program is dynamic, and delivered in a way that caters to all learning styles.
When applications are open, you will need to complete an online application including:
1. addressing the following three criteria:
- What motivates you to pursue a career in healthcare at this time?
- Why do you think the Mater Education program would suit you?
- How do you plan to balance your life, work and full-time study commitments while undertaking the individual support program?
2. details of your work history and voluntary experience
3. details of any prior education, including copies of any qualifications, statements of attainment or a transcript of completed study and/or your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education awarded for the completion of year 12.
Applicants that address the defined criteria as published and whose answers are clear and informative will progress to the next stage.
Stage 1: To set you up for success, we'll ask you to undergo a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) evaluation before starting the program. The LLN evaluation will give us an insight into your reading, writing and numeracy skills, and help us plan any extra support you may need to succeed in the program.
Stage 2: Applicants who display competence at or above Exit Level 2 in the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) in both reading and numeracy will be invited to an interview, and complete a written assessment at Mater Education.
To work in the healthcare sector you need to be responsible, physically fit, mentally alert and practical. You also need to be able to carry out all of the physical activities that are a part of caring for someone.
Certificates and permits
Confirmation of your enrolment as an Individual Support student is subject to the completion of a criminal history check (Fit2Work).
To complete vocational placement, you will also be required to obtain a Blue Card. This is free for students and will be discussed at the interview stage. (If you have any questions about Blue Card requirements, please contact us.)
You need to be immunised, or in the process of being vaccinated, for the following communicable diseases:
- Hepatitis B
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- MMR (measles, mumps and rubella)
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
- Seasonal vaccinations (influenza) as required.