Headstart into Healthcare
CHCSS00114 - Entry into Care Roles Skill Set
The aim of this course is to provide learners with basic industry specific skills and knowledge to introduce them into the health workforce and as an entry into a Certificate III course or traineeship within the health or community services sector.
This course is designed to be accessible and hands on using simulation facilities. It provides practical scenario-based learning to bring together the underpinning and theoretical knowledge to:
- communicate with others
- provide support
- complete documentation
- understand infections and controls
- understand legislation, policies and procedures
- understand cleaning and hygiene
- learn appropriate use of PPE
- identify hazards and risks in maintaining a safe environment.
This course is approved for JobTrainer, a jointly funded initiative of the Australian and state and territory governments. To be eligible for JobTrainer you must meet eligibility criteria. For more information on the available funding options and criteria, please refer to the duration and costs section below.
For exact dates of this course, please refer to the duration and costs section of this page below for the timetable.
Apply today to get a headstart on your career in healthcare!
The course consists of 3 units:
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
The taster course would provide credits into our certificate programs in the health and community sector as per the below:
Delivered over 4 weeks
- 3 days per week for 3 weeks, face to face
- 2 days of practical health immersion in week 4
- 0830 – 1530.
See course timetable here.
The cost for JobTrainer eligible students is nil.
The full fee is $1200 (incl. GST)
Please see 2022 schedule of fees here.
Government funding - JobTrainer
This course is approved for JobTrainer, a jointly funded initiative of the Australian and state and territory governments.
To be eligible for the JobTrainer funding you must meet the following criteria:
- Reside in Queensland, and
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident residing in Queensland, or New Zealand citizen permanently residing in Queensland (including humanitarian entrants), or a temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency, and
- have finished school or no longer be at school (including homeschool), and
- not already be enrolled in training (includes VET and higher education courses), and
- have not previously completed a qualification funded under the JobTrainer fund.
For more information about eligibility, see the Job Trainer Fact Sheet.
To be accepted into Mater Education's Headstart into Healthcare program, applicants must:
- have an up to date COVID-19 vaccination record
- have basic computer skills
- have access to a laptop or portable device with internet access.
South Brisbane18 months
Diploma of Nursing
Gain the skills and knowledge you need to become an Enrolled Nurse (EN) with Mater Education’s Diploma of Nursing program.
Newstead15 weeks plus placement
Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance
Develop the essential skills and clinical knowledge needed to work in a dynamic allied health environment with Mater Education's Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance.