Basic Assessment and Support in Intensive Care (Adult)
Created by Hong Kong-based anaesthetist and critical care specialist Charles Gomersall, the Basic Assessment and Support in Intensive Care (BASIC) course arms participants with skills to rapidly assess seriously ill patients and provide initial treatment and organ support in hospital intensive care settings and other critical care environments.
Mater Education’s BASIC course is delivered by our team of highly skilled intensive care specialists and uses multidisciplinary teamwork simulation, along with interactive drills and workshops to ensure that all participants—from clinicians and nursing staff and through to paramedics—are ready to provide intensive care management, advanced resuscitation, and pre-transport stabilisation to critically ill and injured adult patients. The course covers the following key areas of learning:
- assessment of the seriously ill adult patient
- mechanical ventilation: modes, strategies for optimising ventilators, troubleshooting diagnosis and management of airway management
- airway obstruction and acute respiratory failure
- severe trauma
- severe sepsis and septic shock
- interpretation of arterial blood gases
- sedation and analgesia
- critical care transport.
Who should attend?
Our BASIC course is designed to prepare clinicians from all disciplines for the practical management of critically ill patients. It is also vital training for healthcare professionals working in intensive care settings and critical care environments—including junior doctors, medical officers and registered nurses.
Key topics include:
- Assessment of the seriously ill adult patient
- Mechanical ventilation: modes, strategies for optimising ventilators, troubleshooting
- Diagnosis and management of
- airway management
- airway obstruction
- acute respiratory failure
- Severe trauma
- Severe sepsis and septic shock
- Interpretation of arterial blood gases
- Sedation and analgesia
- Critical care transport
Skill stations include:
- Airway management
- Vascular access
- Mechanical ventilation in the Intensive Care Unit
- Defibrillation and pacing
BASIC (Adult) is an interactive course run over two days.
Medical officers: $650 (incl. GST)
Nurses and students: $450 (incl. GST)
Discounts are available for nurses from Mater Private Hospital Brisbane ICU and Mater Hospital Brisbane ICU. Please contact email@example.com for your discount code.
South BrisbaneOne day
Advanced Life Support (ALS)
Advanced Life Support (ALS) training arms clinicians with the skills they need to provide urgent treatment when faced with cardiac emergencies such as cardiac arrest, stroke, and myocardial infarction.
South Brisbane6.5 Hours
NOVICE: Basic Obstetric Skills Stations
This intensive course harnesses Mater Education’s expertise in simulation training, giving participants the opportunity to step through a number of common obstetric procedures and get a head start on their skills development.