Critical Care Ultrasound Course
Focused ultrasound examinations in the critical care setting have become a valuable part of clinical assessment thanks to their rapid, precise detection capabilities. The Mater Education Critical Care Ultrasound workshop delivers hands-on training in the use of ultrasound in a range of acute care settings.
The workshop has been designed to build skills in assessment and management of critically ill patients using ultrasound and covers the range of point-of-care ultrasonography employed by clinicians working in the critical care environment.
Taught by our team of experienced critical care clinicians and sonographers, this workshop incorporates simulation training with live patient models to consolidate learning through real-life application.
Who should attend?
Our Critical Care Ultrasound workshop is designed for health professionals who use ultrasound in their clinical practice such as registered nurses, nurse practitioners, anaesthetists, medical officers and rural and remote health care professionals working in a high dependency, critical care or intensive care environment.
This two day hands-on workshop is delivered by highly skilled and experienced critical care clinicians and sonographers, incorporating simulators and live patient models.
The first day will cover the following topics:
- Ultrasound physics and equipment
- Image optimisation, artefacts
- Peripheral venous access, arterial lines, PiCC lines
- Central venous catheters
- FAST scans.
The second day will cover the following topics:
- Thoracic ultrasound
- Lung ultrasound
- Airway ultrasound
- Echocardiography/RUSH protocol, CO measurement.
College of Intensive Care Medicine (CICM) CPD Registration
- Lectures: Category 2A, 1 point per hour.
- Facilitated discussions and workshops: Category 2B, 2 points per hour.
- Skill stations/hands on sessions with feedback: Category 3B, 3 points per hour.
Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA) CPD points
- Lectures: Knowledge and Skills category 'Learning sessions' at 1 credit per hour.
- Hands-on workshop: Knowledge and skills category 'Short format learning’ at 2 credits per hour.
South BrisbaneOne day
Advanced Life Support (ALS)
Advanced Life Support (ALS) training arms clinicians with the skills they need to provide urgent treatment when faced with cardiac emergencies such as cardiac arrest, stroke, and myocardial infarction.
South BrisbaneOne day
Antenatal and Birth Suite Clinical Skills
The Mater Education Antenatal and Birth Suite Clinical Skills course is designed to arm participants with the theoretical knowledge and foundational skills needed to deliver exceptional birthing care.