Midwifery Refresher Course
Mater Education’s Midwifery Refresher course gives experienced midwives the opportunity to renew and strengthen their skills by learning from leading maternity care experts and gaining practical experience at one of the country’s largest maternity service providers, Mater Mothers’ Hospital Brisbane.
The course encapsulates contemporary best practice across a range of midwifery skills and adheres to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia registered midwife Standards for Practice.
The course follows a preceptorship model of teaching.* Key areas of learning and skills development include:
- understanding of contemporary, evidence-based best practice, in the clinical environment
- observing and performing a variety of foundational midwifery skills(with support and regular feedback from preceptors and facilitators)
- performing holistic patient-centred care in an acute care clinical setting
- participating in nursing and midwifery inquiry/evidence-based research to make informed clinical decisions
- identifying the value of diversity and cultural safety within the healthcare workplace.
Course participants have the option to undertake a ‘refresh’ in antenatal or postnatal areas, depending on recency of practice.
*Preceptorship is a time-limited, education-focused model for teaching and learning within a clinical environment. It uses clinical staff as role models, working to assist new staff and students to adapt to their roles and develop clinical skills.
Who should attend?
Our Midwifery Refresher course is designed for qualified registered midwives who are out-of-practice and wish to refresh their knowledge and skills in an acute maternity care setting. The course is ideal for midwives who have taken an extended break from midwifery but still meet the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia mandatory registration standards of Recency of Practice and Continuing Professional Development.
This course includes three components:
1. Theoretical learning modules (online)
- Mater Education has collaborated with the Australian College of Midwives (ACM), who will deliver the theoretical, online learning modules including Antenatal, Intrapartum and Postnatal Care. These modules equate to 37 CPD hours and must be completed prior to the practical and clinical components.
2. Mater Education learning modules (online)
- Approximately 20 hours of guided online modules
3. One day orientation workshop
- Orientation date will depend on the completion of the online modules and will be discussed with each participant, one-on-one. Subject to change due to COVID-19.
4. Clinical placement (120 hours)
- Clinical placement will be accommodated at Mater Mothers' Hospital during a designated placement period. While shift times may be negotiable, start and finish dates are fixed.
Together, these components will allow participants to build upon their previous Midwifery experience (and qualifications), and understanding of the requirements of a contemporary, current-day midwife, including professional practice, critical thinking and analysis, provision and coordination of care and collaborative and therapeutic practice.
To be eligible to pass the program, the applicant must satisfactorily complete all the requirements, including:
- Mater online clinical modules
- ACM online modules
- Reflective practice
- Australian Midwifery Standards Assessment Tool (AMSAT)
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to meet the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) Standards for practice 2016.
- Perform holistic patient-centred care in an acute care clinical setting.
- Demonstrate safe practice in medication administration by a variety of routes.
- Participate in nursing and midwifery inquiry/evidence-based research to make informed clinical decisions.
- Identify the value of diversity and cultural safety within the healthcare workplace.
Following successful completion of the course, participants will be able to apply for RM vacancies (as applicable) available within the clinical areas and casual pool roster. They will also receive a certificate of competence.
Theoretical learning module
This module is delivered via ACM—please contact ACM directly for pricing & enrolment.
Orientation workshop and supervised clinical placement at Mater
$3 100 (incl. GST)
Payment plans may be available and can be discussed on acceptance of the placement.
The course is designed for Registered Midwives who:
- have at least one year midwifery experience in a hospital setting
- hold general registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (without any notations or conditions on their registration), and
- meet the Recency of Practice Registration Standard of 450 hours practice in the last five years.
This program is open to eligible midwives registered in Australia who have been out of the workforce for five years or less.
To apply, complete the application form below.
All applicants will be screened via an interview process and will be required to submit and/or complete the following:
- Curriculum Vitae showing evidence of previous clinical practice
- Evidence of 12 months (minimum) post graduate midwifery experience
- National Australian Federal Police Check: Health workers and students must comply with Employment Screening using Criminal Record Checks Policy Directive PD2005_552
- Immunisation records
- Identification with current photo (drivers licence or passport)
Since 2018, Mater Education and the Australian College of Midwives (ACM) have joined forces to deliver a dedicated refresher course designed for qualified Registered Midwives.
South BrisbaneOne day
Advanced Life Support (ALS)
Advanced Life Support (ALS) training arms clinicians with the skills they need to provide urgent treatment when faced with cardiac emergencies such as cardiac arrest, stroke, and myocardial infarction.
South BrisbaneOne day
Antenatal and Birth Suite Clinical Skills
The Mater Education Antenatal and Birth Suite Clinical Skills course is designed to arm participants with the theoretical knowledge and foundational skills needed to deliver exceptional birthing care.