Nursing Refresher Course
This course is designed for qualified Registered Nurses and Enrolled Nurses who are out-of-practice and wish to refresh their knowledge in acute care nursing. It is also ideal for nurses working in non-acute areas of practice who wish to return to work in acute care environment.
Participants will learn contemporary best-practice and renew their confidence while gaining practical experience in some of Mater’s exceptional hospitals.
Throughout the course, participants will:
- gain an understanding of contemporary, evidence-based best practice, in a clinical environment.
- be supported within a preceptorship model, working supernumerary alongside Mater Staff.
- observe and perform a variety of clinical skills including medication administration within the acute care setting with support and regular feedback from preceptors and facilitators.
Who should attend?
The refresher course is designed for aualified registered nurses and enrolled nurses to build on your previous nursing skills, knowledge and experience to prepare you for safe practice according to the relevant NMBA Registered Nurse Standards for Practice.
This course includes four components:
1. Theoretical learning modules (online)
- Mater has partnered with the Australian College of Nurses (ACN) to deliver the theoretical, online learning modules. These modules equate to 36 CPD hours and must be completed prior to the practical and clinical components. They will take approximately four weeks to complete.
NB: If you have successfully completed ACN’s online refresher within the last 12 months, you may be able to progress immediately to the workshop component of the program.
2. Mater Education learning modules (online)
- Approximately 20 hours of guided online modules
3. One day orientation workshop
- Orientation date will depend on the completion of the online modules and will be discussed with each participant, one-on-one. Subject to change due to COVID-19.
4. Clinical placement (120 hours)
- Clinical placement will be accommodated at Mater's exceptional hospitals during a designated placement period. While shift times may be negotiable, start and finish dates are fixed.
Together, these components will allow participants to build upon their previous nursing experience (and qualifications), and understand the requirements of a contemporary, current-day nurse, including professional practice, critical thinking and analysis, provision and coordination of care and collaborative and therapeutic practice.
Following successful completion of the course, participants will be able to apply for RN or EN positions (as applicable) available within the casual pool roster.
You will also be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to meet the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) Standards for practice 2016
- Perform holistic patient-centred care in an acute care clinical setting
- Demonstrate safe practice in medication administration by a variety of routes
- Participate in evidence-based practice to make informed clinical decisions
- Identify the value of diversity and cultural safety within the healthcare workplace
Participants will also receive a certificate of competence.
The course is designed for Registered Nurses and Enrolled Nurses who:
- have at least one year acute nursing experience in a hospital setting
- hold general registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (without any notations or conditions on their registration), and
- meet the Recency of Practice Registration Standard of three (3) months practice in the last five years.
This program is open to eligible nurses registered in Australia who have been out of the nursing workforce for five years or less.
All applicants will be screened via an interview process and will be required to submit and/or complete the following:
- Curriculum Vitae showing evidence of previous clinical practice
- Evidence of 12 months (minimum) post graduate clinical nursing experience
- National Australian Federal Police Check: Health workers and students must comply with Employment Screening using Criminal Record Checks Policy Directive PD2005_552
- Blue card (only required if working with children)
- Immunisation records
- Identification with current photo (drivers licence or passport)
Theoretical online Nurse Refresher Course
$1 100 (incl. GST)—This course is delivered via ACN. Enrol in the online Nurse Refresher Couse directly via the ACN website.
Orientation workshop and supervised clinical placement at Mater
$3 100 (incl. GST)—Payment plans for this component may be available. Please discuss directly with Mater Education on acceptance of the placement.
NB: If you have successfully completed ACN’s online refresher within the last 12 months, you may be able to progress immediately to the workshop component of the program. In this case, you will not be required to pay the $1 100 online course fee.
To be eligible to pass the program, the applicant must satisfactorily complete all the requirements, including:
- Mater online clinical modules
- ACN online modules
- Reflective practise
- ANSAT competency assessment tool
South BrisbaneOne day
Advanced Life Support (ALS)
This interprofessional course is designed for clinicians working in critical care areas or those expected to lead a team during a medical emergency.
South BrisbaneOne day
Antenatal and Birth Suite Clinical Skills
In this hands-on, one-day program, participants will refresh their theoretical knowledge and practice foundational skills in caring for maternity patients.