IV Therapy and Medication Administration Refresher
This refresher course offers participants the opportunity to refresh their theoretical knowledge when caring for patients requiring intravenous therapy (IV) and intravenous medication administration.
This course is delivered as an online learning module with the option of a face-to-face practical assessment to demonstrate competency in administering IV therapy and IV medication administration.
Who should attend?
This refresher course is designed for healthcare professionals such as enrolled nurses, registered nurses and midwives who wish to refresh their theoretical knowledge when caring for patients requiring intravenous therapy (IV) and intravenous medication administration.
Participants must have held previous competency in IV therapy and IV medication administration.
This course is delivered as an online learning module, with the option to participate in a face-to-face practical assessment afterwards.
Online learning module
The online learning module covers the following topics:
- legal aspects of IV medication administration
- drug schedules and drug storage
- quality management
- minimising risk with IV Therapy and Medications
- abbreviation used in IV Therapy and Medications
- IV medication pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
- IV medication calculations
- infusion therapy equipment
- documentation and IV management
- preparing IV medications
- IV fluids and vascular access devices
- blood transfusion and management
Online learning module plus Practical assessment (optional)
Upon completion of the online learning module, participants may take part in a face-to-face practical assessment to consolidate their learnings. This may be delivered onsite at Mater Education, or with an educator in your current working environment.
- The online learning course will take approximately 16 hours to complete.
- The practical assessment will take up to two hours to complete.
- You will have access to the online resources to complete this online learning for six months from booking date.
- Practical assessments can be organised at a time suitable to both the participant and the coordinator. Please call Mater Education on
3163 8203to book a session.
Online learning course $200 (incl GST)
Online learning course plus practical assessment $300 (incl GST)
South BrisbaneOne day
Advanced Life Support (ALS)
This interprofessional course is designed for clinicians working in critical care areas or those expected to lead a team during a medical emergency.
South BrisbaneOne day
Antenatal and Birth Suite Clinical Skills
In this hands-on, one-day program, participants will refresh their theoretical knowledge and practice foundational skills in caring for maternity patients.